Plans have been revealed for the partial demolition and restoration of Marshside Road Methodist Church in Southport.
A Prior Notification for the scheme at the church, at 1C Marshside Road Southport, has been submitted to Sefton Council.
Exact details of the redevelopment have not yet been revealed.
The landmark red brick building has always been known as the ‘Fisherman’s Chapel’ because the shrimpers agreed to double their working hours in order to provide extra money for the building fund.
The large brick-built chapel was built in 1876 and was opened at a cost of £1,864, accommodating 700 people. It was extended further in 1896.
The church is still open for worship.