Firefighters rushed to the rescue of a French bulldog puppy in distress in Southport.
A crew from Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service helped to rescue 13-week-old Mabel after she got stuck to a garden hook.
At around 3.15pm on Tuesday (13 April), firefighters and the search and rescue team attended a property in Grafton Drive in Ainsdale, where the pup was caught by her mouth on a small hook near a garden wall.
Mabel was stuck against the wall and crews supported her, as well as her shocked owners, while waiting for vets to arrive.
Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service Station Manager Ronnie Duffy said: “The crews did really well supporting the dog while we were waiting for vets to arrive with a sedative.
“Mabel had been in the garden and got stuck to a small hook used for growing tomato plants near a wall.
“She was trapped tight to the wall by her lower jaw and every time she moved she made a yelp.
“The owners were really upset to see the dog in such distress – and it was hard for the crew members too as we are all dog lovers ourselves.
“When the vets arrived, they sedated her – they were great – and once she was out cold, she could be removed.
“Afterwards, we used a Smokey Paws mask to administer oxygen therapy to the dog.”
Mabel sustained a jaw injury and was further assessed and treated by vets Parker and Crowther, who had come from Formby.
Smokey Paws kiits were introduced by Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service in 2018 and several fire engines in Merseyside now carry pet-friendly oxygen masks to help pets in distress.
Station Manager Ronnie Duffy said: “Well done to all involved and we hope you get well soon, Mabel.”
For more details about the Smokey Paws non-profit organisation, which provides specially designed pet oxygen masks to the UK fire services, please visit: www.smokeypaws.co.uk
Do you have a story for Stand Up For Southport? Please message Andrew Brown via Facebook here or email me at: email@example.com